Health Care Providers
Clinical Tools & Resources | Making a Referral | Advance Care Planning | Consent and Capacity | Education
Please visit www.speakupontario.ca.
This website has a wealth of tools and resources for advanced care planning. Some quick links are provided below.
- The government of Ontario has produced the Ontario Senior’s Secretariat’s Guide to Advance Care planning as part of Ontario's Strategy for Alzheimer Disease and Related Dementias. It provides valuable information for seniors on making choices about personal care including health care (treatment and services), food, living arrangements and housing, clothing, hygiene and safety.
- In 2006, Judith Wahl Executive Director and Senior Lawyer at the Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (ACE) published a paper entitled Advance Care Planning - The Legal Issues.
- This Health Canada document Advance Care Planning: the Glossary Project brings clarity to the concepts and terms used in advance care planning.
- DNR Resources: When the Do Not Resuscitate Confirmation Form (DNRC) was introduced across the province of Ontario in February 2008, it became apparent that many health care providers were unfamiliar with their obligations under the Health Care Consent Act, 1996 when discussing choices around Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) with patients.
- Power of Attorney Kit and Forms - By establishing a Power of Attorney, your clients/patients can plan ahead and be confident that their plans will be carried out. The booklet found at this link provides instructions and forms for a continuing Power of Attorney for Property and a Power of Attorney for Personal Care.
Additional Advance Care Planning Resources and Educational Material:
- Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (ACE) - At this website you will find a number of publications on Health Care Consent and Capacity and Advance Care Planning. This is an excellent Ontario-based resource that includes tip sheets, articles and reports.